Blaze that destroyed Wellington marae found to be accidental

A single whare was all that was left of Tapu Te Ranga Marae after the 9 June fire. - Photo: RNZ / Meriana Johnsen

An investigation into a blaze that destroyed a Wellington marae has found the fire was accidental, but the alarm system did not work on the night.

Twenty-seven cub scouts and a family, including a baby, escaped Tapu Te Ranga marae when it went up in flames on 9 June.

Fire and Emergency found strong winds blew hot embers from a nearby brazier on to material that ignited in a storeroom.

The marae's unmonitored fire alarm system failed, as it had not been reset after a false alarm earlier in the week.

Fire and Emergency's Wellington area manager Dave Key said the findings show the danger of outdoor fires close to buildings.

He recommends public buildings have monitored alarms, for a quicker response time to a fire.

Comments